There beet (also called beet) is a type of vegetable that is harvested from the beginning of autumn to the first months of winter and adds color to food in the coldest period of the year with its vibrant color. Beets are the most common in Italy purple color but the varieties that can be brought to the table there are many including with white and pink stripes and colored ones intense yellow. They belong to the same family as the plant they come from sugar beet; in both cases, the tubers of the plant, where the reserve substances are stored, are exploited. Even beets, not used for sugar production, still retain a slightly sweet taste (so that it can be used in some sweet preparations). But the leaves of this plant can also be eaten, for example, by frying them in a pan with a clove of garlic, because their bitter taste is reminiscent of chard. Another feature of this dish is a highly pigmented juice. This is one of its uses in the kitchen natural dye: the water they release can also be used to give pulp gnocchi, fresh pasta, risotto or sandwiches a pink or purple color, and can also be used as a dye substitute for cakes and ice cream.
Beetroot is found in the market mainly in two forms: viz naturalwill still be cleaned and cooked or already cleaned, boiled and vacuum sealed, ready to eat or reworked into other recipes. If you buy them raw, there are better ways to soften them it’s hotthe steam cooking or he in the oven. Before cooking, they should be washed well to remove the soil remaining in the shell due to the porous surface. In any case, it is better to wait until after the cooking stage to peel them: as long as they are raw, in fact, they are very leathery and difficult to remove. Beets can really be eaten raw: it is actually cooked as a carpaccio or tartare and can also be used to prepare. smoothiesalong with other fruits and vegetables. Although their use is nothing new in the kitchen, it is not a very popular vegetable. However, there are many recipes in which they are the protagonist Borscht, soup from Ukrainian culinary tradition. For those who are tempted by their bright colors and buy them every year but still can’t find the right recipe, there are other ideas to try.
- Roasted beets with goat cheese. One of the best combinations for oven-roasted beets is what you see paired with it. goat cheese: on the one hand, we reflect the sugary taste and firm consistency of the vegetable, on the other hand, the sour note and the softness of the goat cheese.
- Beet and chocolate cake. Beet is one of the vegetables because of its sweet taste can also be used in desserts. For example, you can enter in the chocolate cake mixto give it a purple color and a more rustic and less savory flavor.
- Pea and beet hummus. It is one of the most popular optionsHummus is based on peas and beets. It is enough to add some boiled beets to the recipe of the classic version, resulting in a slightly fresher taste and a very intense pink color.
- Vegetable chips. Beets are (unsurprisingly) very good fried: For those who like vegetable chips, the option is to fry it in thin slices or bake it in the oven with the same slice, adding salt, pepper and plenty of oil.
- Venerable rice with beetroot cream. Beetroot can also be used to make creamy sauces season with which pasta or rice. It is one with a good combination Venus riceit remains slightly crispier and the color is richer with the color of the beetroot.
- Beet and purple cabbage cream. Considering the season, beetroot also finds its place in the classics comfort food winter: la like velvet. Can be boiled with Del purple cabbage and potato and mix everything after you enjoy it. Finally, you can add a teaspoon to garnish fresh ricotta.